DMTF Releases SMBIOS 3.4
DMTF has released Version 3.4 of the System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Reference Specification, the premier standard for delivering management information via system firmware. Since its first release in 1995, the widely implemented SMBIOS standard has simplified the management of more than two billion client and server systems.
For OS-present, OS-absent, and pre-OS environments, SMBIOS offers motherboard and system vendors a standard format to present management information about their products. By extending the system firmware interface, SMBIOS can be used with management applications and eliminates the need for error-prone operations, such as probing system hardware for presence detection.
Version 3.4 of SMBIOS adds support for current technologies, including:
- Updates to PCI Express support to address surprise removal (joint work with PCI SIG) and Gen 5
- Updates to ARM processor reporting
- Support for Open Compute Project network interface cards
- Improved support for Compute Express Link (CXL) slots
- Support for Enterprise & Data Center SSD Form Factor (EDSFF) slots
- Support for DDR5
To learn more about SMBIOS and to download Version 3.4, please visit http://www.dmtf.org/standards/smbios.